Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Roasted Broccoli Cauliflower Soup

Today was really cold and rainy here in sunny Arizona so I felt like soup was the perfect choice for dinner. This recipe came out of my own mind, it is my take on a a popular favorite broccoli cheese soup. This version is thick and creamy without any dairy (yes it is possible) I did add some fake cheese to mine at the end but it would still be good even without the cheese. I have been on a real roasted veggie kick, that is the secret of this soup, roasting your broccoli and cauliflower it gets these great caramelized bits on it and that adds lots of good flavor. I tyred to have lots of photos for this one but don't get scared this recipe is so easy and really fast for a soup.. I think that I made enough to feed at least 5 people so.... Leftovers :) It was the perfect Saturday night dinner, I served it with a big green salad and my homemade Rosemary Foccica bread. On a side note the other exciting thing about this meal is that I got to use my brand new stick blender, it totally rocks!

Ingredients
1 head of broccoli
1 head of cauliflower
1 medium potato
4 cloves of garlic
1 shallot
1 medium onion
4 tablespoons EVOO (divided)
2 quarts of veggie stock/broth
1/4 cup cooking Sheri
S&P
1 package shredded vegan cheddar cheeze (of course I used Daiya) http://www.daiyafoods.com/products/cheddar.asp

Lets get started, Preheat your oven to 425. Then begin to chop up your broccoli and cauli, toss them in a bowl and add a few tablespoons of EVOO and some S&P
once they have been lightly tossed around the bowl, out the broccoli and cauli onto a baking sheet. and pop them in the oven for 15 min.

while your veggies are roasting get started on the other ingredients, chop up the onion, garlic and shallot.

using a nice heavy soup pot on medium heat add the remaining olive oil and your onion, shallot, garlic. saute until they become translucent, then add the Sheri and cover.


Next chop your potato, I always leave the skin on, that is where all the good nutrients are and you will not even notice them.
add the potato to the pot, then add 1 of your quarts of veggie broth, bring the heat up till it comes to a boil. by this point your broccoli and cauli should be ready to come out of the oven. Add the roasted veg to the pot.
now turn the heat to medium, and add the other quart of veggie broth and cover (I really must draw attention to the yummy bits of goodness on the the veggies)

Now for the fun part..... My new stick blender, I am so excited about this! Just blend, blend, blend, try to get all the chunks out. make sure your heat is down to low for this part. you will be so surprised how creamy it will look and with no dairy.
from here your soup is  done, I added a 1/2 bag of Daiya Cheddar style shred's and then saved the other half for garnish.

This is the final product, I think it is perfect for a cold rainy day. This recipe is so good I challenge you to make it and serve it to the carnivores in your life and see if they even notice its vegan!

1 comment:

  1. These two recipes look really good, Stacie! I want to try them both. I also want to try roasting my veggies more. Everyone says they're so good that way.

    ReplyDelete