Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Smokey Temphe Sando's and Portland Food Cart's

Recently I took a whirlwind trip home to Oregon, it was wonderful and when my sister and nephew picked me up at the airport we rushed in the rain down to the wildly popular food carts! I was so excited I have been wanting to visit the super trendy and popular street corner lined with little trailers packed with good food, much of it Vegan! Sallie and I decided to eat at Buddha Bites, We wanted to try a few things so we picked the Smokey Temphe sandwich and a wonderful quinoa tabbouleh salad. I can not say enough how amazing this food was, I ate sooo much and was mesmerized by all the full flavors! So the pictures below are of my trip with Sallie and Brogan to the food carts and then below you will also find my recreation of the Smokey Temphe Sando. I want to eat this every day for lunch it is easy and delish!




aftermath of the sando
It was raining so hard we had to eat in the car


To make the Sandos you will need:
1 loaf of bread, I used a sourdough baguette
1 package of Temphe (I used the Trader Joe's brand,  )
1/4 cup of Brags Liquid Amino's or Soy Sauce
1 tsp of liquid smoke
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
1 tomato
2 tablespoons of Vegan Mayo (the very best is )
1 ripe Avocado
3 large green leafs (I used green leaf but I think butter leaf would be yummy)

How to build the perfect Smokey Sando

    • first remove the Temphe and and slice in half so you have 2 large thin slabs
    • mix the Liquid Amino's (or soy sauce) liquid smoke and garlic powder.
    • marinade the temphe in the sauce for however long you want just don't forget to flip it... :)  I think mine sat for an hour or so (however long it took me to go to a yoga class and come home)
    • then heat up a skillet with 1 tablespoon of canola or veg oil (I don't like to use olive oil when I am cooking at a high temp) cook the Tempe at medium high heat, flip them till each side gets a little toasty then add the remaining marinade and let it soak in until it is all dry in the pan. then they are done!
    • cut the baguette in half then slice open you will have 2 like foot long sandos
    • broil the bread till it is toasty
    • now build the sandos, put the vegan mayo on the bread, you can also use Hummus instead of mayo if you want. (I may have gone a little heavy on the mayo on mine :)
    • then layer on the veg and top with the Temphe. Voila! Cut the sandos so you end up with 4 nice size sandos!
    • I served these with a summer potato salad and fresh fruit!
One more Cute Pic :)
Well this one is super funny!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Stacie! Your hair is redder than your sister's! Sure wish we could have seen you.

    Lauren and I ate at the food carts last summer. Such a fun adventure!

    ReplyDelete