Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

My version of some Classics

As always I am blogging after the fact but these are 2 classic foods from my childhood that I just had to post. The first one is my own version of my moms old stand by, Chicken and Trees. It is an amazing casserole with lots of goodness inside but I had to find a way to veganize it so here it is, off the top of my head. (one day I will remember to write stuff down when I cook so I can remember the measurements)

Stacie's "Chicken" and Tree's

1 package of crescent rolls, most brands are vegan just check the back (i used the trader Joe's brand)
1 head of broccoli
1 container mushrooms
3 fake chicken cutlets, I love the Gardein products!!  http://www.gardein.com/products.php?t=frozen&p=5
1 cup vegan sour cream
1/2 a packet of french onion dip mix (check to make sure you got a vegan one)
1 cup Vegan Mayo - I love Vegenaise!!  http://www.followyourheart.com/product-family.php?id=14
1/2 cup of water
1/2 (or so)  bag of vegan shredded Cheddar. I like Daiya! http://www.daiyafoods.com/
1/4 cup of Panko (or bread crumbs)

  • Turn the oven to 375
  • Use a 9x 13x baking dish, spray with cooking spray, then make a crust with your crescent rolls, make sure you press it all together so there are no holes.
  • in a bowl mix the mayo, sour cream, onion mix and water
  • heat your chix in the micro than cut it up into small chunks
  • cut broccoli and mushrooms to bite size chunks
  • mix your chix, broccoli, mushrooms,and cheeze into the creamy mix, stir to combine
  • dump the filling into your crescent roll crust
  • sprinkle the top with your panco/bread crumbs and more cheeze if you wish :)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Bake covered for about 20 min
  • then check and bake for about another 10-15 min, depending on how dark you like it, just basically it is done when it is all bubbly and gooey

Another food that I remember loving was Caesar salad, I love it but the dressing is usually made with egg and anchovy..... NO thanks so I found a great recipe for a vegan Caesar and let me tell you I think I have made a batch every day for the last week! So easy and tastes amazing!!!!

Eggless Caesar Salad Dressing  Lemon
  • 1 tablespoon eggless Mayo
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1/2 vegan Worcestershire sauce
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Pepper to taste
Dump it all into a bowl and whisk, it is that easy!!! I just used some romaine and croutons and an avocado that I needed to use up! SOOOO good!
So all together I am happy that I have found a way to enjoy 2 recipes that I consider classics from my mom, I hope the links for the products are helpful and I hope you all give these a try, at least the dressing, it was so good! I think my next project will be to recreate a old bar food stand by of mine, gooey and crispy mozzarella cheese sticks with marinara sauce. I will post that one for sure!




No comments:

Post a Comment