Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Beans

Beans are a staple in any Vegan kitchen, I have started buying dry beans in the bulk bins and cooking them up in big batches so I have them ready to go for the week! In the picture below I have a mix of beans, some pinto, black and other varieties. I really like beans and these are easy to use for a bunch of good dishes. Stay turned for some easy re-fried beans (home made, its so much better) So if you are a fan of canned beans give the dry ones a try, you will save money and be able to control the salt! Enjoy! I think that I should note that as I was getting my beans together this morning a clove of garlic shot off my cutting board and on to the kitchen floor.... needless to say Boone devoured a clove of garlic this morning... I guess he will have a healthy heart!

Ingredients

  • 3 cups dried pinto beans (i used a mix of black beans as well)
  • 4 garlic cloves, peeled and mashed
  • 1/4 large onion
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Combine the beans, garlic, onion, and bay leaves in a medium pot. Add enough water to reach about 1 1/2 inches over the beans. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the beans are tender, about 2 hours. Add more water if the beans are absorbing too much liquid. The beans should be soupy when done, with plenty of liquid remaining. Season the beans with salt and pepper, to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment