Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Vegan Summer Quiche

I am proud to say I made this one up all on my own, I had some zucchini, squash and shrooms that I needed to use up so I thought I would try my hand at quiche. I grew up eating quiche, I loved the yummy mix of veggies and fluffy eggs with a flaky pie crust. This one is nice because it has the bright squash and zucchini in it, this feels light and fresh to me! Like summer, after all it's already in the 80/90's here in phoenix!So this is my take on a classic quiche. Give this one a try!

Ingredients
1 pie shell - I used Marie Calenders  frozen deep dish pie crust (its vegan)
1 block of silken tofu
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
1 small onion
1 cup of chopped mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup of Daiya Cheeze
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon turmeric (this gives the tofu the yellow egg color)
S&P to taste

Directions
  • take the pie crust out of the freezer
  • pre-heat the oven to 375
  • grate the zucchini and squash with a cheese grater (i used my food processor grater)
  • chop onion, garlic and mushrooms and put into a pan with the olive oil at medium heat, saute until the shrooms release the liquid
  • add the grated squash and zucchini to the pan, just cook until soft
  • drain the veggies until most of the liquid is gone
  • in the food processor mix the tofu, turmeric, S&P, and nutritional yeast. pulse until smooth
  • mix the tofu, and veggie mix in a bowl
  • put half the cheeze in the bottom of the pie shell
  • place the tofu, veggie mixture into the pie shell
  • top with remainder of the cheeze
  • pepper the top and toss it in the oven
  • bake for 30-40 min (until the mixture firms up)
  • cool and cut, enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. I think your blog gets better every post. Keep up the yummy blogging.

    ReplyDelete